P-P-P-pick up a Penguin!
April 25th is World Penguin Day. Well, you can’t say that you don’t learn something new everyday here on Tasty Cupcake Recipes! Following hot on the heels of January 20th’s World Penguin Awareness Day, this is actually the second day of the year these lucky perma-tux wearing flightless birds get dedicated to them. Because you can never spend enough time thinking about penguins, chocolate or otherwise.
Lucky for us they are also pretty cute and make fantastic toppers for cupcakes. Folks from all over the globe have come up with brilliant ways of turning cupcakes into miniature icebergs for their penguin creations to stand upon. We have found a clever little recipe for creating your own penguin cupcake topper out of the chocolate coloured Oreo biscuits (or any similar sandwich biscuit) for you to try yourselves or be inspired by.
You will need to start with the basic vanilla cupcake recipe and then follow the recipe below to make the penguin topper. Don’t forget to ice with a white vanilla frosting (icing) to give them a snowy effect. Or you could use a plain vanilla cupcake if you prefer to represent the rarely spotted desert penguin!
How to Make a Penguin Cupcake Topper
You will need:
- A Batch of Vanilla Cupcakes
- Full-sized Chocolate-flavoured sandwich cookies (such as Oreos)
- Mini-sized Chocolate-flavoured sandwich cookies (such as Mini-Oreos)
- Orange Licorice
- Blue Licorice
- Vanilla Frosting/Icing
- Desiccated coconut
- Bake a batch of your favourite recipe cupcake, vanilla cupcakes work best.
- Separate chocolate-sandwich cookies and mini chocolate sandwich cookies, keeping the filling on one side. Use a serrated knife to cut the mini cookies pieces without the filling in half for the penguin’s wings.
- Press the mini cookie, filling side down, onto the larger cookie with filling, cream side up, to make the penguin’s body and head. Press the cut mini cookie pieces, straight edge up, into the filling as the wings.
- Cut, using small sharp scissors, small pieces of orange and blue licorice twists to make the feet, beaks and bow ties. Pipe dots of vanilla frosting on the mini cookies and attach the orange licorice piece for the beak and mini chocolate chips, flat side up for the eyes. Add the blue licorice pieces to the filling as the bow tie.
- Spread vanilla frosting on top of the cupcakes and roll the top of the frosted cupcakes in sweetened coconut to cover.
- Insert the penguin into the coconut and frosting to secure. Add the orange licorice pieces as the feet.