Zest & Pop
Orange and poppy seeds make a surprisingly good match in a cupcake and there are several versions of this recipe that you can try. The zesty sweetness of the orange mixed with the crunchiness of the poppy seeds make for a good winter warmer and also the flavours make this cupcake an excellent option Christmas.
You can top these cupcakes with either an orange drizzle or a butter cream to your taste. A sprinkle of poppy seeds or a few peelings of orange zest give the finishing touches. And if you love all things citrus, try swapping the orange for lemon for a different type of tang.
This recipe is just one of the many variations you can try.
- 120 g self-raising flour
- 145 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g butter, at room temperature
- 120 ml whole milk
- 60 ml orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, sugar, butter and orange zest into a food processor and blitz on a slow speed for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Don’t worry if it looks a little messy at this stage – it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg and orange juice. Pour into the batter, add the poppy seeds and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the golden sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe credit: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/6468440