A superfood for a super cupcake!
Can a cupcake be healthy and tasty? Probably not but your can always add some healthy ingredients and make yourself feel a little better about enjoying a tasty cupcake recipe!
Many nutritionists sing the praises of the humble blueberry often labelling it as a superfood. Packed with antioxidants and tons of vitamin C, blueberries are little blue anti-inflammatory disease busters! And the bluer they are, the better they are for you. Also, they look great against the white chocolate frosting. This yummy cupcake recipe combines the delicious creaminess of white chocolate with the oh-so-healthy goodness of the blueberry. Not only do they taste fantastic and are super easy to make but you can feel a little less guilty about eating them! Tasty and Nutritious!
If you prefer raspberries make an excellent substitute as they make a great match with white chocolate (and are equally healthy!).
Blueberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 140g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 140g (5oz) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 4 large egg whites
- 115g (4 oz) blueberries
- 75g (3 oz) plain flour
- 115g (4 oz) ground almonds
- White chocolate icing
- 175g (6 oz) white chocolate, chopped
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Extra grated or shaved white chocolate and blueberries, to decorate
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together until creamy. Beat in the lemon zest. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until standing in soft peaks. Dust the blueberries with a little of the flour.
- Stir the blueberries into the creamed mixture with the rest of the flour and the almonds. Mix in a spoonful of the whisked egg whites to soften the mixture before gently folding in the rest with a large metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 15 minutes until golden and just firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, put the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Leave until the chocolate has melted, stirring until smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan and set aside in a cool place until the icing has thickened sufficiently to spread over the cupcakes, stirring from time to time.
- Ice the cupcakes and decorate with grated white chocolate and blueberries.