An ideal partner for the basic vanilla cupcake recipe the chocolate cupcake is another great favourite at parties, afternoon teas or just as a tasty treat. The chocolatey sponge goes well on its own or with a chocolate icing such as the Nutella Cloud Frosting. But feel free to experiment as they are versatile enough to meet even the greatest chocolate lovers needs!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
You will need
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- a 12-hole cupcake tray lined with paper cases
- Preheat the oven to 170C/(325F)/Gas 3
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into a free standing electric mixer with paddle attachment (or use a hand-held electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until everything is combined into a sandy consistency.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug then slowly into the flour mixture. Beat the mixture again to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula).Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. When the cupcakes are cooled, spread the frosting on with a pallet knife or with a piping bag.